Computer engineering is a very popular major, and is in high demand in the high-tech industry. Students that already have experience with computer engineering from their high school years usually have a much smoother start their first year than others, who find their first year to be very confusing. The good news is that you don’t have to worry. If everything seems confusing and complicated your first year, that can easily be resolved. We recommend preparing before your studies start to ensure that you have everything you need to get higher grades, and to help you reduce your stress levels in class and before exams.
Why Use Online Resources
When it comes to computer engineering, there are a lot of helpful resources online at your disposal. You’ll only need to invest a little bit of time before your studies start to enjoy the many benefits that they offer:
- Finding these resources is easy because this topic is very popular online
- When you’re stuck with a specific problem, you’ll already know who and where to ask to get quick answers
- If you need help understanding a new topic, you’ll be able to ready different resources with different teaching methods
- Most of these online resources are free, and those that aren’t are not expensive
Keep reading to learn how to find these resources to make your computer engineering studies more successful.
Research Online Resources Before You Start Your Studies
Each semester, make a list of all of the courses you’re taking, and go through the list of topics you’ll learn in each course. Skip the ones you think you are already comfortable with, and make a list of topics that you think may be difficult or complicated. Make sure to include any topic that you are not familiar with at all. For example, if you have a programming class and this is the first time you’ll be programming, add it to the list in case you need help.
Once you have this list ready, you’ll start your research. There are three reasons to do this before you start your studies:
- You will have more time before you start your studies, and you want to take all the time you need for good research.
- You won’t be stressed and in a hurry. If you do your research when you’re already stuck on a topic, you’ll be very stressed.
- Having everything ready before you start your studies will save you a lot of time and worry later one. When you need help with a specific topic or problem, you’ll already know that you have the resources you need.
How to Research Computer Engineering Resources Online
Your research will be divided into two different types:
- Researching general resources for computer engineering
- Researching specific resources for each course and topic
Start with general resources and find groups, forums, and websites for computer engineering students. There, you may already find resources for specific topics and courses. Join groups with other computer engineering students, as well as a couple of groups for computer engineering professionals that are already working in their field. This could be a great resource of information.
Then, go through each topic on your list and search for:
- Video channels
- Websites and tutorials
- Groups on Facebook
- Forum websites
- Subreddits on Reddit
When it comes to groups and forums, make sure to save active ones so that you can get an answer quickly when you need it. When you have everything ready, save it and start your studies with a little less stress and worry. If you ever get stuck despite all of the online resources available to you, you can always look for an online tutor for a quick session to help you out of a jam.