The Internet has changed pretty much every aspect of our lives, from how we do business to how we shop, and it has significantly changed education as well. Besides the obvious accessibility and learning technologies that are now available to students in elementary schools, high schools, and colleges, there is one huge change that is becoming more and more popular – tutoring online.
Content: Tutoring the Old Fashioned Way | Benefits of Hiring a Tutor Online | Who Needs a Private Tutor | How to Hire a Tutor
Before online tutoring, students who needed a tutor had to go through a difficult and costly process. If you were lucky enough to need help with something common, like high school math or history, you would probably be able to find someone to help you out, and even then, you are greatly limited in options.
Other students who need help with areas like accounting, literature, software engineering, biology, etc. need to find tutors with a very specific skill set. Because of the location limitation, that is not always possible, and if you are lucky to find someone, you’re stuck with them, their price, and their schedule because no other options are available to you.
Bottom line – offline tutors have significant disadvantages:
- Hard to find
- Not many to choose from
- Limited availability
- High costs
In addition, working with an offline tutor, or home tutor, involves going to their home or the other way around, which is not always convenient for students, especially when it is a stranger.
More students are working with online tutors every year, and it is because of the huge advantages that these tutoring services have to offer.
Here are the main benefits you enjoy from the start:
- Ease – Everything is easier and requires only basic computer skills, like using website search and maybe Skype. Finding a private teacher online can take you a few minutes and you don’t have to leave your home or even pick up the phone. It’s all done from your computer and on your schedule.
- Availability – Since you’re not limited by location, you have access to a lot more relevant tutors. Finding one that is perfect for your needs, and even for your schedule, is not only possible – it’s simple.
- Cost – Remember, there are a lot more tutoring experts to choose from when you go online, so the prices are much more competitive. You no longer have to settle for one teacher in your location who can decide on any price they choose. An online tutoring website will show you prices of all of the relevant tutors you’re interested in and you can simply choose the one that is right for your budget and study needs.
- Distance learning – Online tutors don’t come to your home and you don’t have to go to theirs. You learn via live video streaming using Google Hangouts, Skype, or any other similar service that is completely free and easy to use. This means that lessons only require your laptop or computer and an internet connection. You can learn in the middle of the night or any time of day without worrying about being alone with an absolute stranger.
These are only some of the main benefits, but there are many more that become apparent once you start learning with an online tutor.
Another thing that has changed in recent years is the “shame” of hiring a tutor. Students used to be ashamed and think that hiring a private tutor meant that you were less smart or capable than fellow students, but those days are long gone.
Here are a few reasons to consider a tutoring service:
- Difficulty understanding the material – The most obvious reason is simply because the material taught in class is too difficult to understand. This does not mean that you are not smart enough to understand it! Everyone has a different way of learning, and the teacher uses the same method with the entire class. It is only natural that some students will simply not be able to learn with their teacher’s teaching method. Finding a tutor that fits your own learning style can make a huge difference.
- Not enough time – Tutoring helps students manage their time more efficiently. When doing assignments or studying for an exam with a tutor, less time is wasted on procrastination, daydreaming, Googling questions, etc. For college students who have other responsibilities besides their studies, this is very significant.
- Studying for exams – Many students don’t like to study alone and spending your exam prep time with a professional tutor not only helps you by providing a study partner, but it also makes your prep time shorter and more effective. Both college and high school tutoring services for exam prep is available online when you need it to help you ace your next test.
- Stuck on questions – Sometimes, even though you understand most of the material in class, you get stuck on one specific topic or there is one unanswered question that bugs you. Since you don’t commit to anything with an online tutor and everything is much faster and easier, you can hire a tutor online for a quick “explanation session” to clear things up. Also, you can find free online tutoring on social media groups and forums if you only need help with one question or topic. While it requires a lot of time, saving useful online resources can be very helpful when you need it.
· Homework help – If you find the material easy to understand in class, but the assignments are a bit difficult to do on your own, you can have a tutor help you on a regular basis whenever you have homework. This not only helps you learn more effectively while you do your homework, but will save you loads of time and frustration.
Hiring an online tutor is simple and fast, but before you start, you need to define a few requirements to ensure you don’t waste any time later on.
- Budget – What is your budget per lesson or month? Think about how many lessons you’d like every week or month and your weekly/monthly budget to define the ideal price-per-lesson.
- Availability – Do you need a tutor in the evenings, mornings, weekends, middle of the night, etc.? If you have a very specific schedule for lessons, make sure to write it down as a requirement.
- Skill set – Besides being an expert in the field you need help with, are there other skills your tutor should have? For example, should they be able to speak another language? Should they have experience with students who have ADHD? Is there a specific teaching method you had in mind?
Once you have these things defined, you can easily find tutors on a tutor website. Turing websites, or tutoring centers, are online portals that allow you to search for and hire available tutors. After logging in to a tutoring center, use the search filters to find a tutor that has the cost, availability, and skills that you need. Sort the results by rating to see the top tutors that match your criteria and then read the reviews of the top 5 or top 10.
Try to narrow it down to around 2 or 3 best tutors and contact them for more information. Ask them questions that concern you or get more clarification about their skills. You don’t have to commit to any one teacher, so you can hire the one that seems like a good fit, and then try another if you weren’t completely satisfied with the first.
Your studies will go smoother with an online tutor always there to help you out when you need it.
Tutoring Related Subjects